- The approach forecast of the large and violent typhoon No. 19 is coming over this weekend.
In consideration of the safety of visitors, we will stop visiting jochi-ji all day on October 12 (Saturday).
Open：9:00〜16:30 every day
Group discount：150yen（More than 30 adults）
※Weather may cause you to stop viewing.
- Adress：1420 Yamanouchi,Kamakura-shi tel：0467-22-3943
Instagram will be updated every Friday.
The temple is a place of prayer and the Buddha is here.
Enjoy the relaxing feelings of the precincts in the precincts and cherish that you pray.
- Avoid rude attires.
- When you face the Budda statues , gather your palms quietly and bow once, without hat/cap and sunglasses.
- Refrain from speaking loudly, running around.
- Do not take photos in prohibited areas.
- A blocking pole of bamboo or a blocking stone decorated with a tied rope mean off-limit.
- Never pick flowers or grasses.
- Take home your trash.
- Goshuin seals are evidence of your prayer.
Please keep in mind that here is the place to pray and speak with the Buddha.
About Jochiji Temple
Jochiji temple was built 1281 upon the death of Munemasa Hojo, the third son of Hojo Tokiyori who was the fifth regent of Kamakura government. Its construction work was advised by Chinese monks, thus the Bell Gate and the Main Building feature Song architectural style.
Jochiji’s premises have been loved by intellectuals. The movie director Yasujiro Ozu and the Japanese painting painter Yuki Ogura used to live here. The novelist, Tatsuhiko Shibusawa rests in peace here.
About Main Statutes
Tathāgata of Amitābha, Tathāgata of Shakyamuni, and Tathāgata of Maitreya are the Buddhas of respectively the past, present and future world. They listen to our every wish. The Main Building“Donge Doh”is named after the legendary flower that opens once in 3,000 years. Meeting the Three Worlds Buddhas is as rare as it. The present statues were made in Muromachi period because they had been burned once. The long robes hanging down at both sides of Buddhas and black floor tiles are China (Song dynasty) Style.
(Sentence source: Kamakura Bonds-kun map）
Please tap the sights of interest in the precinct guidance.
the Main Temple Gate
The gate of Jochi Temple. Surrounded by deep trees, stone steps symbolizing Jochi Temple extend.“Ho-sho-zai-kin(寶所在近)”is a zen word which means "believe in Buddha and you can get peace of mind if you practice."
Bell Tower Gate
Unique Temple gate which has bronze bell on the second floor.
Three Statue of Buddha located in Donge-Den.
Left statue represents past, center represents present, and right represents future.
Shoin (Study Room)
Historical building with thatched roof. Built in 1924.
One of the seven gods of Kamakura.Rubbing his Stomach believed to make you happy.
Shrine digged out of soft cliff. Used for monk’s training or grave.
One of the Ten Kamakura Famous Well. Was known for it’s sweet taste.(It is not used as drinking water.)
A well which can draw same water of Well of Kanro.(It is not used as drinking water.)
It is a hill named by a high priest from Rinzai who came from Japan from China, and "Tenyo" means "doing the world".
On the way to the Kuzuhara oka / Daibutsu Hiking Course, there is the Tensho Peak Monument, which was erected in 1944.
- Wooden Three Sitting Buddha
- (Important Cultural Asset of Kanagawa Prefecture)
- Wooden Daruma Daishi statue.
- Wooden Oyasumi Shonen statue.
- Wooden Minamishu Hiromi statue.
- Wooden Statue of Goddess of Kannon.
- Sitting Wooden Jizo.
- (Important Cultural Asset,Cultural Asset of Kamakura City, located at National Treasure Museum)
- Wooden Skanda heaven statue.
- (Cultural Asset of Kamakura City, located at National Treasure Museum)
- Hermitage Shuzo temple solicitation form.
- (Important Cultural Asset, located at National Treasure Museum)
- Japanese Apricot, Japanese allspice
April 8th : Flower Festival (Birth Festival of Buddha)
Early December: Autumn Leaves
December 31st : Bell of New Year 's Eve
- Adress：1420 Yamanouchi,Kamakura-shi
- 8-minute walk from Kita-kamakura Station of JR Line.
- Google map
Many Ways to Pray for Temples in Kamakura
Kinpo-Zan(Jyochi-ji) is the fourth rank of Kamakura Gozan (Five) temples.
Known for incarnation of Miroku-Bosatsu, god of immortality.
Miroku-Bosatu in Joji-ji is one of the Kamakura thirteen Buddha.
Divine Kannon Statue in Jochi-ji is the thirty-first Goddess.
Twelfth Jizo is in Jochi-ji.(Currently located at National Treasure Museum.)
Water is Jochi-ji was known for efficacy of immortality.
Web Site Production Cooperation